Thursday, January 2, 2014

The Dreaded Resolution.. To Lose Weight

Hello everyone! 

If anyone had as much baking as I did over the holidays theres probably a few Christmas pounds that need to go! 

Luckily for me, my boyfriends mom has helped push me in the right direction by getting me some some dumbbells and a jump rope for Christmas!


In the past I have been a bit of a gym rat but last year I finally started to mix my workouts up a bit by working out outside and running more then I ever have. I used to hate running actually, now I love it! I had a great run yesterday actually. It's become my form of meditation, it totally clears my mind. Now that I have dumbbells, a jump rope and a resistance band from last christmas I can do some pretty good workouts right at home! (Having P90X helps too!)

My mom got me a gift certificate to Metro town for Christmas which I plan on spending on some new running shoes! It's gonna be a healthy year :)

I also want to get back into workout classes at my gym. When I first started to workout I would only do classes but stopped going to them over the years. On Monday night I went to one called "Nash Smash" (I belong to Steve Nash Fitness World). It was mainly weight training but so good to do a different workout. My arms and butt still hurt today!


Here's my first workout post of the year, one you can do at home!
You need:

1. Resistance Band
2. Jump Rope

Cardio: 

Run outside 20 mins, find some stairs and do 10 sets alternating from skipping one stair to skipping two stairs.

Circuit:

1. Bicep Curl with Calf Raise

http://blog.anytimefitness.com/

Stand with feet hip-width, band securely under toes, and handles in-hand with arms by your side, with palms facing up. Curl both biceps, pausing at the top, and raise up onto your toes at the same time. Release arms and come back down to your heels. Tip: Keep shoulders away from ears and elbows pinned in.

2. Jump Rope for 60 seconds

alimcwilliams.com

3. Skater Squats

http://blog.anytimefitness.com/

Stand with feet at shoulder-width, band securely under feet, and handles in-hand. Keeping left foot planted, step your right foot out to the side and squat down, keeping knees stacked over ankles. Hold for two counts and come back up to standing. Repeat on left side. Tip: Keep chest lifted and core tight when squatting.

4. Jump Rope for 60 seconds

alimcwilliams.com


5. Lateral Raise

http://well-girl.com/upper-body-resistance-band-circuit/

With your feet shoulder-width apart, stand on the middle of a light to medium resistance band. Crossing the band in front of your body, grasp one handle in each hand, arms extended toward the floor with your palms facing each other. Raise both arms up and away from your midline until your body forms a T. Slowly lower back to the starting position and repeat immediately.

6. Resistance band Flutter Kicks

http://www.fitsugar.com/

  • Sit on a mat or carpeted floor. Loop one handle of the resistance band on either foot. Hold onto the middle of the tube with both hands, and lie on your back.
  • Draw your navel toward your spine, and press your low spine into the floor to protect your lower back, then lift both legs up so they are almost pointing straight up toward the ceiling.
  • Holding the band securely, scissor your legs up and down one at a time, starting with the left leg. Move slowly, and point your toes. Each time your right foot lowers down counts as one set. Complete 10 to 15 sets.
  • To make this move more difficult, lower your legs so they are about six to 10 inches above the floor — illustrated in the lower image. Make sure to keep your abs scooped when you work with your legs close to the ground. Scissor your legs for another 10 to 15 sets.
Repeat Circuit 3 times!!!

Don't forget to stretch! My workout resolution for 2014 is to make sure I have a good stretch after every workout!

Have a great day everyone!

Xoxo- Michelle

1 comment:

  1. Good idea to add variety. Keep changing it up. Snowshoeing,swimming,hiking, biking all great,

    ReplyDelete