Wednesday, January 16, 2013

High Kitties, Bikram Day 3, Post workout supplements and Peru

  Today was the big day! The kitties got fixed. They got home about an hour and a half ago and are acting pretty high at the moment. Everything went well though.

  When I went back to the vet to pick them up there was a 17 year old cat there and both owners were crying. I figured they were probably putting him down. I almost cried. I'm a big baby but I thought about having to put Jesse and Robyn down, ugh. I couldn't do it.

  I did Bikram today for the third time. Here are some of my highs and lows. I'll start with the lows.

Camel Pose



 Standing Separate Leg Stretching Pose



Standing Separate Leg Head to Knee Pose



Rabbit Pose


Half Tortoise Pose

Whenever I do any of these positions where my head is upside down I get super dizzy and feel sick.

2. Even though I drank a ton of water and didn't eat for two hours before the class I still had a raging headache after the class and felt a little sick to my stomach.

Now for the good news. I have improved with these positions already!

Balancing Stick- I felt really good doing this posture and felt myself stretch further then I ever have before! I was very focused.

Standing Head to Knee- This one is tough for me, my leg is nowhere near straight but I felt myself able to get it straighter then I have in the other two classes.


Standing Bow Pose- I really enjoyed this posture today. I had significate improvement. My leg kicked up further then it ever has. I was very happy!



Toe Stand- I actually moved into this pose on one side today!!! You start off with Tree Pose:




Then you bend at the waist and fall so your hands are on the floor. You then lower yourself into toe stand. It's hard but today was the first day I tried it! Yay improvement!!!

I must say I do feel so refreshed after a class and after a shower I feel wonderful. It's only when I get home do I start to feel sick. Sometimes Coconut Water helps.

In all my years of working out I've never taken any post- workout supplements. I'm finding lately I crash pretty hard after a workout, especially Bikram Yoga. Anyways, I think I need to start taking something. I don't want to take anything with a bunch of junk in it. Heres what www.fitnessrxwomen.com said the top 5 Post workout supplements are:

1. Whey Protein Hydrolysate- Within our guts are transporters called PEPT1, which are specifically designed to transport peptides. In fact, the peptides can bypass the slow digestive process that regular proteins undergo and pass directly into our muscles, where they can regain a positive protein balance in the muscle to ignite protein synthesis and muscle building quickly. To top it all off, WPH can be absorbed in as quickly as 10 minutes, making it a perfect post-workout protein supplement choice.  Look for one that has a high degree of hydrolysis, and offers up a high concentration of other essential post-workout nutrients, such as branched-chain amino acids and glutamine. Most whey protein hydrolysates offer between 25 and 30 grams of protein per serving.

Most whey protein hydrolysates offer between 25 and 30 grams of protein per serving.

2. Branched-Chain Amino Acids- critical nutrient for reducing muscle catabolism or breakdown and stimulating protein synthesis.BCAAs are metabolized in the muscles, result in greater muscle growth, and can work to prevent muscle breakdown.

For maximum benefit, try supplementing with 1.5 to 3 grams of leucine post-workout.

 3. High-Glycemic Carbohydrates- reload and restore glycogen levels immediately after a strenuous workout to help initiate recovery. Waxy starches have started to become popular alternatives. Waxy starches are carbohydrates derived from various sources, such as rice, barley and maize, also known as corn. Because of its fast absorption ability, waxy maize has the ability to shuttle other important post-workout nutrients into the muscles.

If you choose to make your own post-workout mix, combine your high-glycemic carbohydrate in a 2:1 ratio along with your choice of protein.

4. Creatine- Supplementing with creatine results in gains in muscle size and strength. It also plays a role in improving performance in high-intensity exercise, increasing energy levels, and speeding up recovery rates. Women tend to have much higher natural levels of muscle creatine versus men, which means we do not need a high dose to increase stores and experience all the benefits creatine has to offer. Research has also shown that supplementation with creatine in women cannot only increase strength but also reduce body fat! Unfortunately, creatine can sometimes cause bloating and water retention— two things most women do not want to experience from a supplement! 

Post-workout dose of 1.5 to 3 grams per day. Also, consider reserving creatine use for the off-season or muscle-building phase, to avoid unnecessary water retention come contest or bikini season!

5. Glutamine- Glutamine has been shown to aid in recovery, reduce protein catabolism or breakdown and increase protein metabolism.  By supplementing with glutamine post-workout, you can reduce the amount of muscle breakdown that happens during a workout.

Supplement with up to 5 grams of glutamine post-workout. For maximum benefit, do not combine with protein or BCAAs, as these supplements can compete for up-take by the muscle cells; reserve glutamine for approximately two hours post-workout.

So it seems like most of these, minus Glutamine, can be combined in one recovery drink. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I think my one month of travel will be to Peru.





Why Peru you ask? Because my friend Kate (she travels a lot) told me to go there. It's much cheaper then going to Europe too. Anyways, I haven't looked into how much flights would be. I've bookmarked some hostels to stay at: 

http://www.hostels.com/peru


I would love to go to Machu Picchu. I did however watch Idiot Abroad- Machu Picchu:

HAHAHAHA, it's ok. I don't take what Karl says seriously. Miserable man haha.

Karl discovers Peru's thriving insect population.

"Imagine it. Imagine being a stick insect, walking about. You’d be forever going, “Is that whats-his-name?” And you’d have to walk all the way up to the twig and you’d go, “Oh, it’s just another bloody twig again.” It doesn’t work. “She looks nice. I’m going over there. Alright love? Oh, it’s just a stick.” It’s hard! It’s a hard life to be a stick insect."
- Karl
I'm not a fan of insects, especially spiders. Anyways this is just another thought. Might be the place to go, I don't know?!

Have a good night everyone!!
Xoxo- Michelle

1 comment:

  1. You were born with a natural yoga bum, and now you are actually doing yoga? Deadly. Machu Picchu would be amazing, hope you get there one day sista!

    -Angela (as in Angela Buhr) :)

    ReplyDelete